For prospective candidates
Why choose the University of Ottawa LPP?
- Admission to the Bar:
The LPP offers Canadian law school graduates (J.D. or equivalent) a new pathway to satisfy the experiential training component of the Lawyer Licensing Process with the Law Society of Ontario.
- Practical Training:
The LPP facilitates the transition between law school and legal practice, teaching candidates to think and act like lawyers. Candidates will be trained in all aspects of the legal practice as they complete eight practice modules in administrative law, civil litigation, commercial law, criminal law, family law, real estate law, wills and estates law, and law practice management.
- Access to Working Placements:
The LPP provides candidates with a four month placement in a legal workplace, such as a legal firm, a legal clinic, a union, a not-for-profit organization, a company, an administrative tribunal or within the government.
- Networking and mentoring Opportunities:
The LPP offers candidates unique networking and mentoring opportunities by allowing them to work closely with experienced lawyers and eminent conference speakers and by allowing them to participate in a number of continuing professional development activities.
Who can participate in the University of Ottawa’s LPP?
Candidates must meet the following admission requirements:
- Be enrolled in the Lawyer Licensing Process of the Law Society of Ontario;
- Have graduated from a Canadian Law School in Common Law or have obtained a Certificate of Qualification from the National Committee on Accreditation ; and
- Have studied law in French or have a solid understanding of the French language.
How can I register for the LPP?
Registration in the LPP for the 2020-2021 year must be done with the Law Society of Ontario (the deadline for choosing the LPP is June 1, 2020). Afterwards, please fill out the University of Ottawa LPP registration form (only available in French and on demand) and send it to us by email, fax (613-562-5124) or mail to the following address:
- Open House & Online Q&A session regarding the PPD: March 4, 2020 from 11:30 to 1:30. Please register at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online Q&A Session: May 20, 2020
- Deadline to register for the French LPP with the Law Society of Ontario: June 1, 2020
- Mandatory online information session: June 16, 2020 at noon
- Deadline to send the University of Ottawa LPP registration form: June 30, 2020
- Mandatory online orientation week: Week of August 31, 2020
- First day of in-person training (training component): September 8, 2020
- End of the training component: December 18, 2020
- Beginning of work placement component: January 4, 2021
- End of work placement component: April 30, 2021
How can I get more information?
If you have any questions, you may communicate directly with the LPP director, Christiane Saad, by email (email@example.com) or by phone at 613-562-5800 ext. 1973.
For more information on the English LLP, please visit the English Law Practice Program.
For more information about the registration process, please contact the Law Society of Ontario.