Associate Professor (on academic leave)
Room: 57 Louis Pasteur St.
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 7908
Work E-mail: Michael.Pal@uOttawa.ca
- Twitter: @mikepalcanada
- View my research on my SSRN Author page
Academic Articles and Book Chapters
- "The Unwritten Principle of Democracy" (2019) 65:2 McGill Law Journal 269
- Elizabeth F. Judge and Michael Pal, "Voter Privacy and Big-Data Elections" (2021) 58:1 Osgoode Hall Law Journal 1: https://digitalcommons.osgoode.yorku.ca/ohlj/vol58/iss1/1/.
- "Social Media and Democracy: Challenges for Election Law and Administration in Canada" (2020) 19:2 Election Law Journal 200: https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/elj.2019.0557.
- "Constitutional Design of Political Rights" (forthcoming) in James Gardner, ed, Elgar Handbook of Comparative Election Law
- "The South Asian Fourth Branch" (forthcoming in an edited volume)
- Elizabeth F. Judge and Michael Pal, "Election Cyber-Security Challenges for Canada": https://www.cigionline.org/articles/election-cyber-security-challenges-canada
- "BC Freedom of Information and Privacy Ass'n v British Columbia (AG): Mandatory Registration Rules and Limits on Third Party Political Expression under the Charter" (2018) Supreme Court Law Review.
- "Evaluating Bill C-76: The Elections Modernization Act" (2019) Journal of Parliamentary and Political Law
- "Third Party Political Participation and Anti-Collusion Rules" (2018) Canadian Public Administration
- "The Democratic Resilience of the Canadian Constitution" (with Richard Albert) in Mark Tushnet, Sanford Levinson, and Mark Graber, eds, Constitutional Democracy in Crisis? (Oxford University Press, 2018)
- "Is the Permanent Campaign the End of the Egalitarian Model of Elections?" in Richard Albert, Paul Daly, and Vanessa MacDonnell, eds, The Canadian Constitution in Transition (University of Toronto Press, 2018)
- "Three Narratives About Canadian Election Law" (2017) 16:2 Election Law Journal 255 (U.S.)
- "Canadian Election Administration on Trial: Robocalls, Opitz, and Disputed Elections in the Courts" (2017) 28:2 King's Law Journal 324 (U.K.)
- "Constitutional Amendment After the Senate Reference and the Prospects for Electoral Reform" (2016) 76 Supreme Court Law Review 2nd 377
- "Electoral Management Bodies as a Fourth Branch of Government” (2016) 21:1 Review of Constitutional Studies 87
- “The Fractured Right to Vote: Democracy, Discretion, and Designing Electoral Districts" (2015) 61:2 McGill Law Journal 1
- "Fair Representation in the House of Commons?" (2015) Journal of Parliamentary and Political Law" Special Edition
- “Breakdowns in the Democratic Process and the Law of Canadian Democracy” (2011) 57:2 McGill Law Journal 299
- “The Promise and Limits of Citizens’ Assemblies: Deliberation, Institutions and the Law of Democracy” (2012) 38:1 Queen’s Law Journal 261
- “Democratic Rights and Social Science Evidence” (2014) 32:2 National Journal of Constitutional Law 151
- “Still Not Equal? Visible Minority Vote Dilution” (2014) 8:1 Canadian Political Science Review 85 (with Sujit Choudhry)
- “Is Every Ballot Equal? Visible Minority Vote Dilution in Canada” (2007) 13:1 IRPP Choices 1 (with Sujit Choudhry)
- “The Supreme Court of Canada’s Approach to the Recovery of Ultra Vires Taxes: At the Border of Private and Public Law” (2008) 66:1 University of Toronto Faculty of Law Review 65
- “The Impact of Regionally-Differentiated Employment Insurance Benefits on Charter-Protected Canadians” in Making EI Work, Keith Banting, ed. (Kingston-Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2013) (with Sujit Choudhry)
- Elizabeth F. Judge and Michael Pal, "Privacy and the Electorate: Big Data and the Personalization of Politics", SSHRC Knowledge Synthesis Report funded by a 2016 SSHRC Knowledge Synthesis Grant
- Melissa Molson and Michael Pal, “Moving Toward Voter Equality: Mowat Centre Report on the Proposed Electoral Boundaries for Ontario” (2012)