57 Louis Pasteur, Room 377
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 3283
Work E-mail: Wolfgang.Alschner@uOttawa.ca
Wolfgang Alschner is an empirical legal scholar specialized in international economic law and the computational analysis of law.
He is a permanent faculty member of the Common Law Section and the Centre for Law, Technology and Society at the University of Ottawa. Prior to joining the University of Ottawa, Wolfgang worked for several years as an individual contractor for UNCTAD’s Section on International Investment Agreements and as a research fellow at the Graduate Institute in Geneva and the World Trade Institute in Bern, Switzerland. He is co-founder of the investment treaty analytics portal www.mappinginvestmenttreaties.com and has published in leading peer-reviewed journals such as theYale Journal of International Law, the European Journal of International Law and the Journal of International Economic Law. His research focuses on using social and computer science methods in order to empirically investigate international law. His areas of interest include international investment law and arbitration, WTO law, regional trade agreements, international dispute settlement, law & economics and empirical analysis of law.
Wolfgang holds a PhD in International Law from the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, a Master of Law from Stanford Law School, a Master in International Affairs from the Graduate Institute as well as an LLB from the University of London and a BA in International Relations from the University of Dresden, Germany.
- Alschner, Wolfgang and Damien Charlotin, “The Growing Complexity of the International Court of Justice’s Self-Citation Network“, European Journal of International Law, forthcoming.
- Alschner, Wolfgang, Joost Pauwelyn and Sergio Puig “The Data-Driven Future of International Economic Law”, Journal of International Economic Law, Vol. 20, No. 2, 2017.
- Alschner, Wolfgang, “The Impact of Investment Arbitration on Investment Treaty Design: Myth versus Reality”, Yale Journal of International Law, Vol. 42, No. 1, 2017, pp. 1-66.
- Alschner, Wolfgang and Dmitriy Skougarevskiy, “Convergence and Divergence in the Investment Treaty Universe – Scoping the Potential for Multilateral Consolidation”, Trade, Law & Development, Vol. 8, No.2, 2016, pp. 152-183.
- Alschner, Wolfgang and Dmitriy Skougarevskiy, “Mapping the Universe of International Investment Agreements”, Journal of International Economic Law, Vol. 19, No. 3, 2016, pp. 561-588.
SSRN Author Page: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=1758638