Dr. Teresa Scassa, Canada Research Chair in Information Law and Policy here at the University of Ottawa, has been named chair of a new Canadian Statistics Advisory Council. The Council was created to provide the Minister and the Chief Statistician of Canada with impartial and independent advice on matters concerning the overall quality of Canada's national statistical system in line with the principles entrenched in Canada's Digital Charter.
Members will use their diverse expertise and perspectives to offer advice on a variety of topics, including identifying areas of opportunity and challenges to address. It will also produce an annual report on the state of the national statistical system.
The council will include the following members:
- Gurmeet Ahluwalia, Managing Partner, StratExLead
- David Chaundy, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Atlantic Provinces Economic Council
- Annette Hester, Principal of TheHesterview
- Jan Kestle, President and Chief Executive Officer of Environics Analytics
- Céline Le Bourdais, Distinguished James McGill Professor of Sociology at McGill University
- Gail Mc Donald, Akwesasne Heritage Complex Project Developer with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
- Dr. Howard Ramos, Associate Dean Research, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Dalhousie University
- Dr. Michael C. Wolfson, health consultant and former Canada Research Chair in Population Health Modeling, Institute of Population Health and School of Epidemiology and Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa