Converting Your LL.B. to a JD

In May 2010, the University of Ottawa Senate approved a motion calling for the renaming of the Common Law degree from LL.B. to JD. 

Alumni can convert their degrees by submitting the Request for Replacement of LL.B. Diploma by JD Diploma form along with a copy of a valid government issued ID to Please note that it cannot be ordered online.

If the requester has changed his or her name since the initial degree was conferred, he or she must also supply the Request for name change form along with the appropriate supporting documentation. It is not necessary to send in the original (LL.B.) diploma.

New diplomas will be mailed to requesters within 8-12 weeks.

The JD diploma replaces the LL.B. diploma, but the date upon which the original degree was conferred will remain the same. Please note also that the JD does not bestow upon the recipient the title of “doctor.”


Important – Additional copies of your Juris Doctor diploma

If you would like to order additional copies of your converted Juris Doctor diploma (to replace your LLB diploma), please contact

Back to top